Tuesday 6 January 2015

Eurovision 2015 Preview #1

With under 130 days to go till the Eurovision circus arrives in Vienna, I decided to take a look at the songs which have already booked their place in the Wiener Stadthalle. 


(Netherlands) - Trijntje Oosterhuis, Walk Along


A middle of the road pop song, I think it sounds very similar in style to Soluna Samay (Denmark 2012), but unlike that song this one is quite poor lyrically. I believe her voice will come across well on stage. Trijntje will find it very difficult to match Netherlands in 2014 and this MUST be staged simply. But the biggest crime of all... it's missing that key Eurovision component, the key change!
After two great years, sorry Netherlands, I don't have much hope of you making the final. I think this will fail to qualify. - 6/10


(Albania) - Elhaida Dani, Diell


I'm never really a fan of Albanian entries, and was pretty much scarred by their 5th place finish in 2012. This song would have benefited massively had the orchestra returned to the contest. I'm really pleased she is singing in her own language, but this will make it difficult for the majority of Europe to relate to the lyrics. She does have great stage presence and her time on the Voice Italy will mean she should be able to control any nerves. This will easily make it through to the final, and she reaches any high notes with ease.
Great vocal and it should really go down well with the audience, her voice will get a huge reception in the arena. Potential for a Top 10 in the final. - 7/10


(Belarus) - Uzari & Maimuna, Time 


An epic opening which could be dramatic and impactful if staged well. Uzari has a very distinct tone which works perfectly with the ethnic influence during the chorus. Much like the Netherlands the song has very simple lyrics. 'Time' should stand out if we have the traditional ballad fest in the semi finals, but they might miss their usual points haul from Ukraine following their withdrawal. 
I love an uptempo song at Eurovision, from a biased perspective I hope it does well. Could scrape into the final, 26-20th. - 6/10


(Malta) - Amber, Warrior


Warrior doesn't have the usual warm feeling which you get with a Maltese entry.  Amber's voice could be exposed by the large arena as I feel the song works better in an intimate venue - this means a lot will depend on the staging of the song. Amber attempts a number of very challenging notes during the song, much to her credit. The feel and tempo of the song improves with the introduction of the backing singers mid song.
In my opinion the chorus is quite painful to listen to, the backing track is also quite overbearing. Sorry Malta, no final for you this year. - 5/10

(Macedonia) - Daniel Kajmakoski, Lisja esenki 


I REALLY HOPE THEY USE A PIANO ON STAGE FOR THIS PERFORMANCE! The song won't work in English and I really hope Daniel sticks with his native language, it sounds beautiful. The song builds nicely, it doesn't feel like its racing to get to the chorus. 'Esenski Lisja' maintains a nice rhythm throughout. When writing this I'm realising how much of a foot tapper this song really is. Great work Macedonia, their best entry for years.
Daniel has great stage presence, his voice is calm but extremely powerful. 
Like a fine wine, this song gets better with age. I just hope he can make his impact on the night. 15-20th in the final. - 7/10


Please send me your comments and let me know what you think!
Tweet me @roblilley1 or @Euro_Trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment