Sunday 25 January 2015

Are France ruining their own chances of winning Eurovision?

Ever since Lisa Angell was announced as France's representative for Vienna this May with the song 'N'oubliez pas,' I can't help but rule out France's chances of taking home this year's Eurovision crown.

As a UK follower of the Eurovision Song Contest, I am of course in no position to declare I know what it takes to win Eurovision. I mean look at us, one top five place in the last ten years is nothing to shout about.

But take a look at that last ten years in question, and one statistic becomes more evident than any other. Nine of the last ten winner have sung in English.

Ever since the rules restricting countries to singing in their own language were abolished, the English language has reigned supreme at Eurovision. Only 'Molitva' and 'Wild Dances ' can claim to be exceptions to the rule this decade.

Don't get me wrong, I 100% respect France's decision to sing in their mother tongue, and why shouldn't they be proud of their native language, good for them! But I can't help but think they could be waiting a very long time before we head to Paris for European music's showpiece occasion.

There is good reason why singing in English proves a recipe for success for so many competing countries.

You only need to have been on holiday to a European destination once to understand English is understood and recognised across the continent. Viewers and jurors alike can relate to the lyrics, and who knows, even sing-a-long should they fancy.

Look at the French language on the other hand, where practically only the French nation itself can claim to fully understand its intimacies.

As I've said already, I wholeheartedly respect France's decision to continue singing in their mother tongue, I just don't expect to be catching the Dover to Calais ferry to a contest hosted by our near neighbours any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment