Sunday 31 January 2016

A Tribute To Sir Terry Wogan



By Jonny Freeman

Today the world of media, entertainment and beyond has been shocked and saddened by the news of the death of Sir Terry Wogan, at the age of 77.

Sir Terry died after a short battle with cancer, in news confirmed by his family this morning.

If you ask young and old across Britain, Europe and the world, you’d more than likely find everyone to know of Wogan, and have a personal memory of him.

It’s this personal connection which has really hit home today. I never met Terry, but I’ve been visibly moved by the news. I didn’t listen to his BBC Radio 2 show very often, but his aura, bubbly persona and commitment to broadcasting and charity work was admirable.

Sir Terry Wogan has left a legacy in broadcasting but also in the world of European music.

For decades, we’d hear his comforting tones as the acts performed on European music’s big night – and he wasn’t afraid of speaking his mind.

The costumes, the key change, the ‘nil pois’ – he’d give unforgettable lines, at exactly the right time.

It’s commendable to see the reaction of the Eurovision world. In his time as contest commentator and host of the shows to find the UK’s act, he’d firmly placed himself as a member of the family.

Competition is forgotten at times like this, and as you have may have seen on social media and in the news, the European community has joined the line to pay tribute to a master of his trade.

Sir Terry Wogan has been a huge inspiration to me, and one I’ll never forget. His work helped show me why I might like working in radio – and he’s inspired many others too.

I’ve shared my thoughts, but we’d like to hear from you. 

We’re putting together a special tribute programme and we’d like to know your favourite moments of Sir Terry’s from the Eurovision Song Contest – and beyond. 

He’s touched so many lives and I’m sure he’s brought a smile to your face on many occasions.

You can share your memories on our Facebook or Twitter pages.

I’ll leave the final words of my tribute to Jeremy Vine, who shared this amazing image today:




#RIPSirTerryWogan


No comments:

Post a Comment