Thursday, 28 April 2016

Eurovision Pocket Size Previews #7

This year's Eurovision Song Contest is just a couple of weeks away, and we're nearing the end of our "Pocket Size Previews". Today we look at The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Russia and San Marino.

THE NETHERLANDS - DOUWE BOB "SLOW DOWN"

Emily - I’m not a huge fan of country music, but I don’t mind this. It’s sweet and Douwe seems like a nice guy. I’d like to see how they stage this. Overall, I like it. 6/10

Elliot - Reminds me A LOT of R.E.M. lead vocalist, good singer but a dull, forgettable song in a field of 18. 5.5/10

Noa - Catchy song , reminds me of their entry in 2014 I like it , but nothing special 7/10

James - It's okay, but just isn't what we're used to hearing from Douwe, so I guess I'm just underwhelmed. 6/10

Rob - This song could go either way - either a non qualifier or a top ten in the Final. 7/10

TOTAL SCORE: 31.5/50


NORWAY - AGNETE "ICEBREAKER"

Emily - Absolutely love this one. Wasn’t sure on it at first as the transition from verse to chorus felt unnatural to me, but I still loved it. Strong song, strong performer with so much potential! 9/10

Elliot - Jarring verse to chorus change, shaky vocals in NF and seriously broken English in the song, not fan. 5/10

Noa - Lately this song really growing on me , I love it ! I like how uinique it is and how it changes in the Chorus 9\10

James - I'm in love! Agnete is gorgeous and the song and her vocals are a match made in heaven! But, I do think the song should be kept at a more consistent tempo as it sounds like three songs all into one. 8/10

Rob - When I first heard this I thought this could be a potential winner - I just hope Agnete is fully recovered. 9/10

TOTAL SCORE: 40/50

Agnete took part in the Norwegian version of Strictly Come Dancing


POLAND - MICHAL SPZAK  "COLOUR OF YOUR LIFE"

Emily - This has grown on me so much. I’m a big fan of Poland this year; the chorus is so catchy, Michal is a great guy and I think they should do very well! 8.5/10

Elliot - Sweet proper male ballad, would like it to do well but not holding my breath for its chances due to NF drama. 6.5/10

Noa - Perfectly made ballad , his vocals are very strong and the message is really beautiful. 8\10

James - It's dated & boring but Spzak has a lovely voice which was demonstrated well in Poland's National Final. 6/10

Rob - Not my kind of song at all - the lyrics are nice but just not really a fan. Sorry Poland. 4/10

TOTAL SCORE: 33/50


RUSSIA - SERGEY LAZAREV "YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE"

Emily - Another one I love. Probably my favourite Russian entry, very easily my number 2 after France. Cheesy, great looking guy, catchy. All I need in a song! 10/10

Elliot - Lot like Moldova, cheesy old school track but just performed a lot better, wouldn't be a contendor if wasn't Russia though 8/10

Noa - Really strong song ! a potential winner . his vocals are pretty strong live as well , he surely got it all !!! 10\10

James - It's catchy, gay-friendly, radio-friendly... PERFECT for Eurovision. But, I wouldn't say this is an absolute winner. 8/10

Rob - Back in the mid 2000s this was a definite winner - this will content with France for the 2016 edition. - 9/10

TOTAL SCORE: 45/50

Sergey attempted to represent Russia in 2008

SAN MARINO - SERHAT "I DIDN'T KNOW"

Emily - The joke entry of the year, yet somehow I really enjoy this, especially as they transformed it from the ballad to the disco version. It’s strange but I like it. 7/10

Elliot - Well...the disco makes it less dated, but its always a worry when your backing vocalists have more life and outshine you. 2/10

Noa - Well at least the changed it to the disco version and I found it very entertaining but a huge no . 3\10

Emily - Just very strange! But I have to say, the disco version does make it much more bearable. Still terrible nonetheless. 3/10

Rob - Well there isn't much to say about this is there? 2/10

TOTAL SCORE: 17/50


Our current top 3...
1) France - Amir "J'ai Cherche"
2) Russia - Sergey Lazarev "You're The Only One"
3) Iceland - Greta Salome "Hear Them Calling"


Keep a look out for the final part of our Eurovision Pocket Size Previews on the way soon, and don't forget you can find us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment