Wednesday 11 May 2016

The Euro Trip interviews Rykka (Switzerland)

Ahead of Saturday's Grand Final, our own Noa had the chance to chat with the Swiss entrant for Eurovision 2016, the lovely Rykka.



Was it your idea to enter the selection with the song or did some one have approached you to enter? 

I had just spent all year working on my new record, and I thought it would be an amazing adventure. I was right, it worked! I have a lot of new music that is all ready to go. 


So "The last of our kind" , Can you explain  about the message of the song and how did you come up with the idea to write about this message? 

The message of The Last Of Our Kind is to always stand up for love above all. Stand up for yourself and for people and other beings who can’t stand up for themselves. Standing up for love also sometimes means to go against your own ego and really search to find the truth.


We already know you are Swiss-Canadian, how do you think that mix of being influenced by both cultures comes out in your singing /songwriting? (sorry if that question too deep haha) 

I grew up in a community where everyone I knew had a guitar. I’m wildly inspired by my peers in both Switzerland and Canada.


What are your plans for the performance and staging in Stockholm? Is it gonna be similar to the national final one, or did you completely change it? 

Yes! It’s different than the one at the national preselection in Kreuzlingen. Of course there will be surprises! I’m working on a dress with LYN Lingerie, it will be a collaboration. LYN x RYKKA! I’ve had meetings with the team at the Swiss Television SRF and worked on the style and mood and what will happen on stage with them. It was really a team effort, and it was so great to be so involved, I love that stuff!

Who are you inspirations when it comes to singing\songwriting? 

I love St.Vincent, Goldfrapp, Fleetwood Mac, Hanne Hukkelberg… It’s a wide range, but I like music that is a little bit weird and not so mainstream. I think that even though I tried to make a pop record, it’s still pretty weird J


Final Question : What can we expect from you after Eurovision ? any plans for new music,a tour perhaps? 


I’ll release my brand new record and tour with my band.

Don't forget you can find us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram too.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these amazing pictures and your experience with us. I would also plan my next holiday trip in Germany as I m really excited to explore all the places that you had captured in your videos and photos. Your experience out there is surely going to help me a lot.

    Eurotrip planner

    ReplyDelete