Thursday 3 March 2016

SLOVENIA: James looks back at EMA 2016

This year, Slovenia stuck to EMA and brought us 10 songs, all which were different to one another.

This was a very entertaining national final due to the diversity of music and performances. I particularly liked the staging and the audience really seemed involved. This certainly was a very nice national final, so my congratulations, Slovenia! The winner was ManuElla – Blue and Red. You'll be able to find my thoughts on the song below as I take you through my thoughts and ratings on each
competing song in this year’s national final in Slovenia.

ManuElla performing "Blue and Red"
Here are my thoughts and ratings on each of the songs, in the order of where I rank them:

1st – Regina - Alive in Every WayI really do not know why, but I LOVED it. Her voice, the music, the staging, the cool effects and the dress change! It just would have been perfect for ESC! Also something different. What a shame that it didn't get chosen! Rating: 8/10

2nd – D Base – Spet Živ - I actually really liked this! It's definitely one of them songs that you would either love or hate, and I loved it! At this point of the show, when it performed, I thought it was going to be chosen as the representative for Slovenia and it's a shame it wasn't chosen as I absolutely loved it. Rating: 8/10

3rd – Sebastijan Lukovnjak - Tales of Tomorrow - This song was different, it was catchy and I enjoyed listening to it! It would have been a decent choice for Slovenia! Rating: 8/10

4th – Žan Serčič - Summer Story - A really nice song! I love the tune. Vocals are a bit shaky but if he was chosen, I think he would have really worked on it. This could have been a dark horse to do well in Stockholm if it was given the chance. Rating: 7/10

5th – Raiven - Črno Bel - It was not bad, but I think it received a lot hype that I didn't really understand. But, it was strangely nice to listen to. But it was right not to send this as it wouldn't have got very far. Rating: 6/10

6th – Nuša Derenda - Tip Top - I don't like the fact that I actually really liked this one! It's not a good song at all, but it's catchy and a guilty pleasure! It was probably best it wasn't chosen though. Wise move Slovenia. Rating: 6/10

7th – San Di Ego Band - Brez Tebe - It reminded me a bit of Albania 2013 and Albania 2014 combined into one, which isn't a great sign. First of all, I loved the guitar in this song, it worked very well with the lead singer's vocals, which were not bad, however, he had some pitch iWhats at time. Overall, it was a decent showcase. Rating: 6/10

8th – ManuElla - Blue and Red - I am not a huge fan of the song, but it is not bad at all. It isn't the WORST choice, it could qualify and actually do surprisingly well. Rating: 6/10

9th – Anja Kotar - Too Cool - The song is strange but I quite liked the sass it had, it would have been a grower if it was chosen I think. I liked the staging and felt it was a professional stage presence from Anja Kota. Rating: 5/10

10th – Anja Baš - What If - I got bored too easily, vocals could have been better and the song could have been more exciting. Rating: 5/10

Overall, a very impressive show! What did you think? Share this article and send me your thoughts! You can follow me on Twitter @JimmyE99. 

No comments:

Post a Comment